About Our Discovery Island
Our Discovery Island makes learning English a memorable, exciting experience by harnessing the fun and excitement of a fantasy Online World with sound ELT methodology. Every level of the course presents students with a quest, which leads them on an exciting journey to strange, but interesting islands. The Online World of this series recreates a digital environment today's children are naturally drawn to, guiding them in their English learning through a real desire to play, explore, create, and interact.
- Student Book comes with a DVD and Student Access Code to the Online World
- Home-School Link invites children to share what they have learned at home
- A Story in every unit consolidates vocabulary and grammar of the unit. Children see how the language is used in context
- Characters come to life in the Online World, where children practice their new language through variety of interactive activities!
- A simple cross-curricular lesson makes the critical connection between English and other content areas, and introduces the connection across the curriculum
- The I Can Checkbox give children the chance to evaluate their own progress and feel successful
Back to top >>
- Microsoft Windows 2000 (SP2), XP (SP2), Windows Vista (Home/Business) or Windows 7
- Pentium 4 1.6GHz CPU or above
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 7.x or Mozilla Firefox™ 4.x, or higher
- Mac OSX v. (10.5, or higher)
- PowerPC & Intel processor 1GHz or higher
- Safari® 4.x, Mozilla Firefox™ 4.x, or higher
- 1024x768 screen resolution or above
- 32-bit color display
- 512MB RAM or above recommended
- 32MB RAM or above XGA display card
- 16-bit Sound Blaster or compatible sound card
- Headphones or speakers
- Adobe Flash Player 10, or above
Back to top >>
REGISTERING YOUR ACCESS CODE
You will find your unique access code to register for Our Discovery Island inside the back cover of your class book. The access code can only be used once.
Your user name must be unique. You cannot change your user name.
Your password must be seven characters or more, with no spaces.
Write something which will help your remember your password if you forget it. You cannot write your password here.
Parent's email address
When you have registered an email will be sent to this address containing your login details. If you forget your login details, we can send them in an email to this address. You do not have to enter an email address
If your teacher has given you a Class ID, write it in this box. Then you can show your teacher how well you are doing.
Note: Student user account will expire 21 months after registration.
Back to top >>
TEACHERS: USING THE PROGRESS REVIEW SYSTEM
You need to first register at ourdiscoveryisland.com before you can use the Progress Review System. Use the same username and password to access the Progress Review system.
You will find the Access code in the Our Discovery Island Teachers Book. Access codes are unique and can only be used once. Your teacher user account will expire 30 months after registration.
Your username needs to be unique. You will use this in conjunction with a password to gain access to the Progress Review System and Our Discovery Island games. (6-15 characters/numbers or both)
Enter a valid email address. The system will send you an email as part of the verification process. If you forget your username or password the system will send you details via email.
6-15 characters/numbers or both
This page opens after you log on. It shows all the classes that you have already set up. It also displays the ‘Class ID’ of each class. You can provide this ID to pupils in your class and if they use this when they first register they will be added to the relevant class.
- Click on the ‘Add Class’ link to create a new class.
- Click on the ‘X’ symbol next to the class name to delete a class.
- Click on the pencil icon next to the class name to change the class name or description.
- Click on ‘Change profile’ to change your login details.
- Click on the class name to see the Class view screen.
To add a class you can provide a name and description of the class. Then return to the overview screen where you can see the names, descriptions and class IDs of all classes.
On this page you see a table showing all students in the class, as well as information about their progress through the game. You can see if each student has partially or totally completed each scene and the time they have spent on the game to date.
For each scene there are a number of adventures and a number of supplementary language practice activities. A student receives a silver star when they have completed the adventures in a scene. They receive a gold star when they have also successfully completed the supplementary activities.
Click on a student to see a more detailed view of their progress. This will open the Student view screen
Use the checkboxes to select multiple students and then click on the ‘Compare selected’ link to see a graphical comparison of their progress.
The Student View screen provides a detailed view of the Student’s progress within Our Discovery Island. This is displayed as a table highlighting each scene and the corresponding quests and supplementary activities. Fields will be marked to show which quests and supplementary activities have or have not been completed. Time spent in each scene is also shown.
Use this help guide to see the learning objectives for each scene as well as instructions for navigating and completing the quests and other activities. You can also download a pdf guide to the entire island.
Back to top >>